Bee, Beekeeper, Beekeeping, Belmont, Belmont University, Bessemer City, Charlotte, Cherryville, Christian Music, Christianity, Construction and Maintenance, Cramerton, Farming, Flint Groves, Foreclosure, Frame (beehive), Gaston, Gastonia, Good Life, Home repair, Home Schooling, Honey, Honey extractor, Lincolnton, Mount Holly, Mt. Holly, Nashville, Property Management, Queen bee, Real Estate, remodeling, StoneWright, Urticaria
The one that survived has been very strong this year. They started building early and the brood boxes were busting at the seams. So about 6 weeks ago we started adding extra supers so that we could rob the hive of honey. I was a little concerned about 2 weeks ago when I check the hive as there was no brood…..so what happened and were was my queen bee?
As I was checking the last frame I found a young queen. Apparently my hive had swarmed and this new queen needed a little time to start laying eggs. I decided at that time that I needed to leave the supers on the hive a little longer.
I went back today to check the hive and found 2 boxes completely built out with honey. There were 2 other boxes partly built. We took the 2 full boxes and started the process of extracting the honey. Here are pictures of a frame fully capped…..
We invested in a honey extractor so I was excited to try it out. We brought the 2 supers weighing about 50lbs each into the garage where we began the process of preparing the frames for extracting the honey.
We first had to remove the capping from the comb to expose the honey. Then we put the frames in the extractor for spinning……check it out.
Look for or ask for StoneWright Farms Crowders Mountain “Raw” honey.
- Our First “Itty Bitty” Honey Harvest (lilsuburbanhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Big Deal Honey (elkinsparkfarm.wordpress.com)